For [Reason 3]: Scattering clothes about because they won’t fit in the closet.
[Solution] Create a space so you can easily put away your clothes by disposing of those you don’t wear
The main reason for not tidying up the closet is that clothes are “hard to put away.”
Can you easily take out and put away the clothes on hangers and in the drawers of your closet?
Do you find yourself firmly pushing the clothes on hangers apart to make space for an item you want to hang, or stuffing things into the drawers?
When you can’t put things away unless you cram them in, you can’t put them away smoothly, and tidying up becomes a hassle. You end up leaving more and more clothes out, rather than putting them away.
First, take the clothes that you don’t wear out of the closet that you use daily. Most people who are not very good at storing their clothes hardly ever wear about half of the clothes that they own.
Take out the clothes that you don’t wear, and then donate or dispose of them.
Clothes that you should get rid of
- Clothes that have not worn in over a year
- Clothes that you don’t want to wear much
- Clothes that are the wrong size, but that aren’t worth spending the time and money to have altered
- Clothes that are the wrong size, but that you might not wear much even if you become able to wear them
If you can’t decide whether or not you should get rid of clothes that you don’t wear, separate your clothes into those that you will keep for regular use and those that you will keep in storage according to the following conditions.
- You don’t want to wear them right now, but you might wear them if the environment or your feelings changed
- Clothes that you only wear for special events (resort dresses, outdoor wear, sportswear, party dresses, ceremonial suits, and the like)
- Keepsake clothes (clothes that you no longer wear but want to keep and cherish because of their sentimental value)
Also, in order to remember why you are putting the clothes in storage, sort them in a way that is clear to see. It is easier to figure out where you are sorting things when you label the hanging clothes and drawers.
When you store the clothes that you aren’t sure whether you should keep or get rid of in a place other than the closet where you keep the clothes that you use daily, you free up space in the closet, which in turn makes it easier to keep daily clothes there.
The closet is the place to keep your important clothes. The ventilation gets blocked if you cram in too many items, which in turn damages your clothes.
Aim to leave room in the closet that you use daily and only keep your favorite clothes that you wear frequently in there. You will then be able to coordinate comfortably in the morning.